"The pleasures of Heaven are with me & the pains of Hell are with me. The first i graft & increase upon myself, the latter i translate into a new tongue." ~ Walt Whitman

Friday, February 28, 2014

"Lord, what fools these mortals be..."

There are over 7 billion people in this world and more than half of us are desolate and confined within our mental prisons. And all of us are searching for that one person to fill the void within our souls, searching for that missing piece in one another, to complete the puzzles that are our mundane little lives. 

We fall flat on our faces, we get our hearts broken, we lose ourselves in the process and we face consequences that break us and leave us in pieces. And yet somehow, for some unfathomable reason, we are relentless in this quest, almost as if it is a masochistic tendency that is embedded in our very souls. We cannot stop, no matter how cruel and brutal the process is, this damned thing called 'love'. 

We take chances. Oh, so many chances, afraid to spend our lives engulfed by that all consuming and loathed feeling: regret. Afraid to be one of those unfortunates who spend the last years of their lives  confined to a chair, immobile and lost in reveries of what could have been. 

It is bewildering that humanity is engineered to enter and exit this world alone and yet how completely and utterly impossible it is for us to live on our own. Ironic, don't you think? 

I am by nature someone who covets privacy, constantly seeking 'alone time' from the chaos around me. Finding contentment in solitude whenever my schedule allows me to, escaping from the white noise of everyday life. 

But even I cannot comprehend spending my entire life alone. It scares the shit out of me, to be honest, to go through this hell by myself with no family to support me, no friends to guide me and no lover to accompany me. Death is inevitable, and we are all condemned to accept this grim fact. But to die without loved ones beside us is ... incomprehensible. 

It's strange, this desperate need, this almost carnivorous craving we have, to feed off one another in order to seek happiness within ourselves. Strange, yes. Strange and pathetic.

Human nature sure is a contradictory and ambivalent little bitch. 

No comments: