"The pleasures of Heaven are with me & the pains of Hell are with me. The first i graft & increase upon myself, the latter i translate into a new tongue." ~ Walt Whitman

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

We are all we need

Shrieks of mocking laughter. That is all I hear. Laughter that resonates within my being and every cell i am comprised of protests in denial.

She is back.

And here I thought I understood Her. That She understood me, what little way She comprehends the concept of solidarity. I wonder if it had all been a facade. The helpless madness within Her eyes. How lost She had seemed when She sat stroking my hair for weeks on end.

Her very posture emanated malice now. More than it used to when She first came into being. She is thinner, taller and Her hair, wilder. The shape of Her face is gaunt and yet She looks stronger. Her eyes are slits, red rimmed and deranged. But it's the look within them that petrifies me. She is completely and utterly focused. Focused on me.

I am slumped against the wall, craven and impotent. The walls are bleeding now. Oozing a dark gunk that smells like carcass. I can't move.

"You craven coward." She hisses, reading my mind. Every syllable is coherent and Her voice is clearer. I whimper in terror.

I have never seen Her this controlled. This calm. This sure. Her dress clings to her now. Her breasts heave, Her shoulders protrude and Her legs are unnaturally long.

She scrapes Her nails on the wall and then turns around and stares at me, Her face breaking into a maniacal grin. I watch in abject horror as She crawls swiftly up the wall, cackling all the while. Making sure She had my complete attention. Making sure I saw it all.

I gape in disbelief at Her speed as She crawls on all fours, defying gravity and comes to an abrupt halt right over my head, Her body upside down. "Hello, Poppet." She hisses... and plunges Her nails into my forehead. I bleed then. Over my eyebrows and into my eyes. I bleed.

The pain is like nothing i've felt before. I realise now that She had held herself back all this time. She hacks deep into me, brutal and relentless. I scream and scream as Her body slides down the length of me, feeding as She went along. "I'm sorry, i'm sorry, i'm sorry." I plead.

She doesn't care. Her body is larger now. Or I am smaller. Somehow i am in Her lap and She holds me by my frail hair. Nails tear into my face as She trails her fingers along it.

She holds me by the jaw and waits till the spasms cease within my body. Waits till I can focus. Agony subsides and I grope around for a hold. I see the slits and I focus on them. "You pathetic little fuck." She whispers.

I wince.

"You let them do this, you know. You let them. You bring this upon yourself. All of it." I weep in silence. My eyes sting from the blood and yet I don't brush it away. I deserve this. I know.

She stares at me then. For a long time. I stare back, body braced for the inevitable. And then She shakes Her head and Her face clears. Her eyes grow larger, less terrifying. Her expression wanes and becomes less cruel.

"I understand now." She says to me in my voice. "Not long now, coward. Hold on."

I stare at Her, willing Her mind to echo what is in mine. And then i feel my strings connect with Her static and fuse into one. And i nod in agreement.

"Wakatta"

4 comments:

naamsufi said...

i can't help wondering what this woman is, really. is she the shadow-self of the author created by trauma? interesting though, the author's helplessness, the woman's cruelty, their bond.

summernashyd said...

Glad you found it interesting 😊

naamsufi said...

ah, i've read an earlier work where you describe the woman as your inner-demon. is it futile to resist her? do you fall into the pit often? has she ever come out into the open?

summernashyd said...

Futile, but I try. Yes. Not entirely, no. But close to the surface, I suppose.